Friday, August 26, 2011

Last night Gavin decided he was ready to figure out how to ride his bike.  We had gotten it for him in February, around Leo's birthday and he hasn't seemed interested in it until last night.  I saw him crawl on and try maneuvering the pedals, so I went over and showed him to always push down with the front foot.  We worked on it for about an hour.  He caught on quick but he was constantly watching his feet and not where he was going.  He ran into a basketball goal, into wooden posts holding a garage up, and off the sidewalk, but he was figuring it out.  He even wiped out one time skinning his elbow a little.  He got back up and started to pedal again.

With a little over a week until the 5K, I am going to challenge myself for the next week.  I have a ton of bad habits and this week I am going to try to give my body a slight cleansing.  Not showers, I already take those.  I am going to go without caffeine, smoking, chewing, drinking for one week.  I am also going to run every evening, drink water, and try to be nice to other people. 

It is only for a week but this will be very difficult.  I want to do this for myself, but to make it interesting if I make it I will take my wife out to eat at the really good barbeque place South of here.  If I don't make it I will make a donation to Paddle for Wells of an extra 20 dollars and eat a spam burger next Friday evening.  Spam burgers scare me a little.  Just the word Spam scares me.  Smearable meat should be cool.  I just can't dig it.

Last night we went to the library.  It has been a long time since I read a book.  This is one of my bettering myself ideas.  I got the book As the Crown Flies by Jeffry Archer.  It is a monstrous book.  I can barely hold the thing up.  Lugging it to the counter, I felt a little overambitious.  Once I started reading it, I was glad it is big.  It's a really good book that's hard to put down.

Today is Christina's birthday.  I didn't make any plans but did get her a couple of presents.  Too bad she can no longer use what I got her.  That will teach me to plan for her birthday any sooner than the day of.

No comments:

Post a Comment