Thursday, June 11, 2009

Rainy Day

I woke up this morning and realized I had not plugged the batteries in the boat up yet this week. I climbed out of bed and made my way down to the garage. I grabbed the extension chord and hooked connected it to the charger. I had a good charge after last Thursday so I am not worried about running out of power but an extra hour charge will help ease my mind. I need to stay relaxed today and not worry about the boat being ready.

I looked outside and it was starting to sprinkle. I went up to get ready for work. When I got done and looked outside it was absolutely pouring outside.

I hooked up the boat in the rain and was soaked by the time I had it connected to the Blazer. The weather says it is supposed to lighten up this afternoon and start back up this evening.

I have not fished much in the rain so I looked up what to do in a rainy situation. One article says to use darker lures and fish a little deeper. Another article says to use brighter lures and slow down your presentation.

It is a pretty warm rain so it should not affect the fishing too much. I will probably start out fishing the Southern end of the lake though since we had a lot of rain quick the water will not be as muddy as up by the river.

I don't get to fish as much as I would like to try to figure out where the fish are at so I read a lot about fishing for bass. Some of the things I picked up on this week are fishing creek channels and points.

When fishing creek channels at the beginning of the lake you cast towards the creek instead of towards the bank to increase your exposure over the channel. Since channels snake back and forth you can fish over the tops of more drops and cover both sides of the channels. If a bass is shading or roaming for food you might pass your lure by its nose.

Points hold a lot of bass. I need to fish the points with a crankbait or spinnerbait to see where the fish are located then toss out a finesse worm or a slower action bait to entice them to bite.

The weather and the water is getting warmer. The surface temperature last week was 72 degrees. 15 out of the 26 boats at the tournament caught their limit. I saw one fish pulled in on an orange wacky rigged senko near an overhanging tree near a large drop off. I didn't see where the others were catching their fish.

I caught 2 small bass in 5 foot of water around structure casting from the shallow to the 5 foot pool using a beatle spin. I caught a very small bass off a point that had a steep drop from 5 to 9 feet. I also had a huge hit that broke my line when I set the hook casting along a weed bed in about 2 feet of water using a beatle spin. All three fish on the beatle spins were on different colors. The first was on lime green. The second was on yellow and the third was on orange. The big fish was on yellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment