Thursday, October 13, 2011

Grand Lake BFL - What I Should Have Done Different

It is still bothering me that I didn't figure the bass out at Grand Lake.  I guess I had the opportunity to catch enough to move on to the next day, but I didn't whack em' like I thought I was going to. 

This is one of the first tournaments I have thought about afterwards and still don't know what I should have done different. 

As a co-angler I shouldn't have been using what my boater was.  One of my rules is to throw something different.  If they are throwing top water throw a bait under the water that you can keep up with the boater with, if they are throwing a jig, throw a worm.  Give the bass something different to think about eating.

At the time, I was thinking it would be silly not to switch to what he was using, when he was catching so many fish on those baits.  I didn't know how to use the baits like he did and he was pulling the fish out before I got to them if they wanted to eat that bait. 

With that clear of water I should have tried tubes and senko's.  With those I could heave them far away from the boat without putting too much weight on them.  They would also have a good action to draw the fish from a ways away.  I was having a hard time trying to figure out what to use in really shallow rocky water.  The rocks were really snaggy rocks too.

I didn't try enough different baits and I didn't spend enough time with my go-to baits.

My boater had me fish different water than I'm used to.  That should have been no excuse.  I had the tackle with me to make the adjustments I needed to make. 

As far as equipment goes, I should have had lighter line.  The water was clear.  It would have made a difference to have 8 or 10 pound test. 

The good thing is I learned a lot from this tournament.  Next time I will have to keep my head in the game throughout the whole day.

No comments:

Post a Comment