Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Evil Brewing in Kiowa Kansas

Why are people so inconsiderate?  What happened to the good ole days when people did things because it was the right thing to do?

If I do one thing right with raising my boys, I hope it is to teach them to do the right thing. 

A couple years after I had gotten out of college, Christina and I were living in a rental house.  The landlord had not paid his fees to the city for renting the house.  The city in turn put a 30 day evacuation notice on our door.  Of course we called them to find out why.  They explained to us that the landlord had not paid his dues and said that we would be evicted if they were not paid.  They also advised us to not pay the rent until the dues were paid in case we were going to be evicted.

The landlord showed up later and demanded his rent so he could pay his dues.  I let him know what the city had told us.  The next day we woke up to a 3 day eviction notice on the door from him.

That was enough for me.  He had already been into the house several times while we had not been there.  Once the bathroom candles had been lit and the tub dirtied,  he had brought a woman into our house while we were out of town for the weekend.  I could not put it past him to come into the house to take our things for not paying the rent.  I called into work that day and rented a storage unit and a rental trailer.  We moved everything out of our house that day.

That night we were homeless with no family close to stay with.  Instead of getting a motel room and spending a ton of money while we were waiting to find another place we decided to camp at the lake.

A couple weeks went by and we had not found a place.  One of the guys at work heard that we were living at the lake and offered to sell us his 28 foot motorhome for $1300.00.  When I got to his house to look, I found the motorhome was trashed.  It had been used for partying and had beer spilled all over the walls and floors.  There was meat in the unrunning refrigerator that had been there for years.  He had told me the AC unit had not worked and he could not get the motorhome to start.  I told him I would buy it if I could get it to start.  I spent a day working on it and got it to start.  The next week was spent cleaning it.

Finally, we got it to the lake to live out of.  The first day I crawled on the roof and had the air conditioner fixed right away.  It was a perfect little home for that summer.  We lived in it for a couple more months while we were waiting on a pet friendly apartment to open up.  We had a great dane and it was hard to find a place to live with him.

We finally got our place to live and we really didn't want to move from the lake.  The motorhome went to storage.  Not long after that I heard that my job at Hewlett Packard was going to end due to HP moving out of the area. 

I was able to transfer positions to Ohio.  My Grandmother expressed interest in buying the motorhome.  At the time it was not too old and only had 40,000 miles on it.  I knew I could sell it for 4 to 5 times the amount I bought it for after cleaning and fixing it up.  My mother reminded me that it was for family and insisted that I sell it to her reasonably.  I sold it for 1800.00, which was the cost of it plus what I had put into it fixing it up.

That's the type of life lesson I want to teach my boys.  Luckily for me, I had sold it for that amount because it still needed more work than I thought it needed.  Grandma wouldn't have let me hear the end of it if she paid more and it still needed that much work.

I won't go into detail yet about why I feel people are so inconsiderate.  I feel the situation that occurred yesterday and today has not been fully resolved.  What is transpiring to happen is not good and could be the evilest act I have ever heard of towards one's neighbor.  However it turns out, I will be adding it to the blog.  What I heard today made me sick to my stomach.

2 comments:

  1. That's the way I was raised as well. Worthless people abound, but you sir are a good man.

    I may have mentioned this way back when but do any of your other readers have a problem with your posts showing up on their readers? Your posts don't show up on my blogger or google readers at all. I apologize for not checking into the site much often at all but without it showing up it just slips my mind. I subscribed by email now so I should be catching from now on and I'll have to look back thru the past few months when I get some slow time at work to see what I missed.

    Any further decision on the CZ-82?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark - I'm not sure what I need to do to get my posts to show up on people's blogger or google readers once they start following. I will have to look more into it.

    Glad to see your still popping in from time to time.

    ReplyDelete