Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Weekly Catch Up


I’m ready to spend some time in the great outdoors.  I haven’t run, fished or hunted for a long time now. 

We had some nice weather last weekend.  Instead of doing one of those things I worked on changing our broom closet in the kitchen into a pantry.  That allowed me a little time outside. 


We have been getting quite a bit of rain here and even got our first snow yesterday.  Not as much as many other places.  Ours mostly came in the form of rain.  A couple hours from here was 12 inches of blowing snow creating 5 foot or higher snow drifts.  



There will be a small window of opportunity to go hunting when we are in Northern Kansas over Christmas.  Dad is going to bring the guns up so we can sneak out between lunch and supper on Christmas Eve.  Both of us want to hunt some pheasants.  He made it out last weekend for a couple hours hunting by himself and found a few birds in Southwest Kansas.  The birds were stacked up near a water source.  That makes since due to the severe drought they had this summer.  I assume if there are birds left around here they will be near a water source as well. 

The boys are heading out tonight to spend some time with Grandpa and Grandma.  We will meet with them up North. 

Another project I have been working on is getting my collection of old Field & Stream magazines and Outdoor Life Magazines into protective boards and bags.  My collection ranges from around 1937 through 1965.  I had found that full set of Field & Stream at an auction when I was a kid and begged Dad to bid on them for me.  He bid 2.00 a box and got all three large boxes they had.  The articles in the older Field & Stream magazines are great.  They tell the story of the trip and make you want to be there.  All of the pictures are hand painted including the covers.  One of my favorite things to look at are the old advertisements for items that you no longer hear about.



I have considered selling the magazines before.  They sell anywhere from 10.00 to 50.00 an issue.  At those prices I have around 5 to 10 thousand dollars worth of magazines.  They mean too much to me to let go.  I do have a smaller collection of older Outdoor Life Magazines that do not mean as much to me that I am considering listing online to sell.

Before I sell them I would like to think of something to do with the money so I don’t just spend it.  It would be a shame to sell the magazines and spend the money on useless junk.  I could use the money for a kayak, or to save for a down payment for a house or a business.  That would make it worth selling the Outdoor Life Magazine’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment