Wednesday, July 18, 2012

We Killed the Rabbit


 Holy smokes it's 2 months later into the summer and I am just getting around to posting again.  Quite a bit has happened since the last post. 

We are expecting another little fisherperson.  Look out crappies!  We are thinking that it will be sometime around February.  Christina has been pretty sick with this one.  She is sick all day and evening.  Hopefully that lets up soon, she is so miserable.

I had never heard the saying, "She killed the rabbit", before this pregnancy.  Maybe it's because we lived in a different society with our last two pregnancy's.  Wildlife is a lot more thought of here.  Apparently, before pregnancy tests, they would use a female rabbit and inject a woman's urine into it.  If the woman was pregnant there would be a distinct change to the ovaries of the rabbit.  Some believed that the rabbit's died from this change, but in reality the rabbits would be killed when they would disect it to look at the ovaries.  In fact any woman that thought she might be pregnant then "Killed the Rabbit".

I also got the boat registered.  It only took 1 year to get everything legalized.  If I move states again, I will sell my boat no matter how much I love it.  It's not worth not being able to fish during the prime fishing season.  Now it's miserably hot and the fish are harder to catch.

I did go back to Glen Elder the week after my last post.  I took the boys back and we had fun in the wind.  Apparently it blew for 11 days straight above 40 mph.  You would think that would be some kind of record.  Around there I am sure it is not even close. 

We caught a few more fish, but still it was slow.  I haven't whacked em at all this year. 

This last weekend we took a trip with Mizike and his family down to Broken Bow, Oklahoma.  That area is so green and the water is crystal clear.  It feels like you should be catching trout, not bass.

We didn't fish much but did get a few hours in.  I had 1 bass take my worm and swim with it.  When I set the hook there was nothing.  I could see him swimming with my lure in his mouth at 7 foot deep.  He was a monster of a fish around 5 pounds.  That was my only decent fish except for a little smallmouth that took my worm next to a stump.  As soon as he hit he headed straight for the surface.  I tried pulling sideways to keep him from coming out of the water but there was no deterring him.  He lept several feet into the air and right at the peak of his jump my lure comes gliding out of his mouth.  It was a spectacular jump.  I have never seen a fish get that high out of the water.

Next weekend is the FLW BFL tournament out of Muskogee, OK on the Arkansas River.  It will be a blast to fish even in this heat.  Rivers are generally tougher fishing than lakes but in a tournament you can get away from the crowds.  I like tougher tournaments.  I tend to do better in them.  After fishing Broken Bow, I am looking forward to some stained water.

With some luck, I may have a chance for a check in this tournament. 

No comments:

Post a Comment